Who is LGOL?
Local Government Online Limited (LGOL) was established in September 1997 under a joint initiative of the Society of Local Government Managers (SOLGM) and the Association of Local Government Information Management (ALGIM). Local Government New Zealand and Civic Assurance joined as shareholders more recently making LGOL a company that is owned and supported by the key local government organisations in New Zealand.
LGOL operates www.localgovt.co.nz and offers web based services to the local government sector. Local Government Online Limited has established itself as the pre-eminent provider/facilitator of Internet services to New Zealand local government with the Website acting as the primary portal to all things local government in New Zealand. Products and services are developed and operated under a collaborative shared services type model where possible to obtain economies of scale and resulting in cost and operational efficiencies.
Through www.localgovt.co.nz LGOL provides many services for the benefit of the council employees and elected representatives and the general public including:
- Information about each of New Zealand's councils, including:
- Profile with base statistics;
- Headquarters and service centre contact details;
- Key personnel information and email addresses;
- Major public policy documents, eg Annual and Long Term Council Community Plans (both draft and approved), Annual Reports and District/Regional Plans.
- News Service: a Homepage offering of local government related news, refreshed daily with council media releases and from a number of the nation's daily newspapers;
- In addition to the Website, LGOL operates over 100 group Mailing Lists . These provide networks allowing local government personnel to communicate on best practice and seek responses to general enquiries. The Mailing Lists consistently generate over 250,000 emails a month. See here for futher information.
With a little help from our friends
The www.elections2010.co.nz project would not have been possible without the support of Local Government New Zealand and with some great technology from Koordinates. Read on below to learn a little more about our great friends....
Local Government New Zealand is
- the national voice of local government
- the champion of best practice in the sector.
We represent the diversity and local democracy of local government, the metropolitan areas, the district, the rural communities, and the regions.
We believe that local democracy is about:
- having the right mix of people, elected locally, to best represent each community
- ensuring services are provided to the community in the best way possible
- taking a collective approach to community needs
- creating a sense of local identity and place.
Rob and Ed are two clever guys behind Koordinates (Ed is even cleverer because he is currently choosing to spend some time in Wellington).
Koordinates provide the cool realtime online GIS facility that powers the search function on the site so when you type in your address it returns the results for elections in your area. Koordinates are all about ways that we can use data to make things easier and provide great access to GIS data sets for academics.
Check out www.koordinates.com to see what other cool stuff these guys get up to.
SilverStripe build innovative and sophisticated websites for customers throughout New Zealand, Australia, and the world. SilverStripe are also are responsible for SilverStripe CMS a free software platform that makes building and managing websites easier, and SilverStripe Dawn a website monitoring service.
SilverStripe are keen to help government be more effective through making valuable data and information more accessible and available on the internet. Our input into projects like data.govt.nz and broadbandmap.govt.nz and this website show our passion in this area.
Read more about why this website is important to us in a recent Silverstripe Blog we've published.