Electing 1 Regional Councillor
No issues on file for Doug Brown.
- Kakanui River Pollution : ORC water quality data shows three "red" (unsafe for swimming) alerts over the last year in the Kakanui Estuary. North Otago people have raised their voices in public submissions to protest the deterioration in river quality. We can do better than this.
- Rating burden for Dunedin based construction projects : $37.5 million in regional rates for the Stadium with little or no benefit to rural and township economies should not happen again. Regional Councils should stick to environmental protection functions.
- Coastal Erosion : north Otago ratepayers want more engagement with ORC on coastal erosion. Oamaru itself is under slow but steady threat from coastal erosion and has completely footed the bill for coastal protection to date.
- Flood Protection : the May floods brought the predictable closure of and damage to roads at the usual pressure points north and south of Oamaru. Diversions off SH1 caused more than $1.5 million in damage to local roads We need a multi-agency approach to flood protection.
- Port Otago merger : my concern is the "confidential" study supporting the claimed benefits of the merger is being kept from the public (ie, shareholders) by ORC.. Publicly listed companies traded on the sharemarket are required to disclose reams of data when proposing a merger. If the merger makes business sense, it will stand the test of public scrutiny.