Electing 4 Regional Councillors
No issues on file for John Bain.
No issues on file for Ajit Balasingham.
- It’s time for the Northland Regional Council to get serious about the environment!
The NRC’s monitoring capability is excellent. But this capability is not being used effectively. Breaches of environmental protection regulations are being detected but there is no follow through in enforcement. It is time for real political will and leadership here. On taking office I would immediately request an audit of this area and take action to ensure our environment is protected.
- It’s time for the Northland Regional Council and the Whangarei District Council to work together!
Northland is a small area, often forgotten by central government. All branches of local government need to unite together, to put aside petty squabbles and stand together for the people of the North. Being a new entrant to politics I would come to office without preconceived ideas, not get caught up over personalities and work with all individuals for the common good.
- Targeted rates should be used with discretion.
I am fully supportive of the efforts to fund raise three million dollars for a oncology unit at Whangarei Hospital but not by the Northland Regional Council. I do not support a targeted rate to do this.
- It’s time for a change! It’s time to vote Kevin Bell for the Northland Regional Council.
No issues on file for Daniel Bolton.
- Need for Leadership and Vision-develop a long term strategy for Sustainable development
- Need for co-ordination amongst the Councils of Northland, led by NRC
- Communication and fostering of Community talent. Councillors do not know everything and need to utilise the talent and work of community groups to ensure Council is being truly representative
- Development of meaningful measures for the outcomes of the plans. Communicate and gain feedback
- Create jobs-Northland has the highest unemployment rate in NZ. NRC has a clear mandate for economic growth and in balance with the environment. Leadership is needed.
No issues on file for Craig Brown.
No issues on file for Tony Davies-Colley.
No issues on file for Paul Gosling.
- ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY:Our natural environment is our most important asset and our health, way of life and economy depend on it. Our harbour and waterways are paying the price for rapid growth in the dairy industry and urban expansion. Over-loaded sewage treatment plants, and one quarter of dairy farms are breaking pollution standards. As a councilor my focus will be on solving these long overdue problems and changing our perception about waste so it can be reused, and converted to fuel and energy. I will bring to the council a professional background in water quality and pollution control
- COLLABORATIVE "WORKING TOGETHER" LEADERSHIP:
If Northland is to prosper socially, culturally, environmentally and economically into the future in the face of resource depletion, the end of cheap oil, climate variability,economic uncertainty a new model of leadership will be required. This leadership will need the necessary competencies and skills to lead guide and facilitate the change required for Northland to: live in balance with our natural environment, create caring resilient communities and create a strong local and regional economy. These are the skills I am offering.
- WATER AND SOIL CONSERVATION::
How quickly we forget last summers drought. The loss to Northland's economy was over 330 million, yet we still have no plan B. Predictions indicate we may face the same situation again. Now is the time for a regional water conservation strategy which will prepare us with creative solutions for the long term. Likewise our valuable food producing soil resources need to be protected in the long term if we are to regain our ability to grow our own food and not be reliant on imported high cost food. I have a professional background in both of these important areas.
- UNEMPLOYMENT: Northland has been hit hard by the economic downturn. Unemployment is the highest in the country. Large infrastructure projects will employ a few in the short term, but won't solve the long term problem. Enterprise Northland, a division of the NRC needs to re-focus its priorities from high paid high skilled jobs to community based local jobs that support the local economy. I am currently facilitating Northland community led employment forums in this regard
- GIVING OUR YOUTH A VOICE: Our youth the voice of the future has not been solicited or heard by our elected politicians. Our existing councilors continue to give lip service to sustainable development which defined as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. To date there is no forum for our youth to express their viewpoints and concerns. As a councilor I would be advocating for a youth council to meet regularly with councilors to ensure their voice is heard. I currently am the convenor of the Whangarei Youth forum and am a Kamo High School trustee.
No issues on file for Peter Jensen.
No issues on file for Mike Kake.
No issues on file for Toa Makoni Luka.
No issues on file for Talia Mana.
No issues on file for Bill Rossiter.
No issues on file for Ann Shaw.
No issues on file for Rangi Tawhiao.