Tena Koutou Katoa
My Name is Whitu Karauna and I am standing for the position of Mangakino/Pouakani Representative on the Taupo District Council.
I am married with three tamariki and three mokopuna. I live in Mangakino. Having played in Provincial Teams in three sports and represented NZ in Touchfootball I understand the importance of being a Teamplayer.
I am voluntarily involved with the Mangakino Areas School, Pouakani Marae, Sports & Leisure Association Mangakino and as a Community Representative for the Mangakino/Pouakani Subcommittee.
Experience has shown me that by working together positive results can be achieved.
Having worked in the Rural Sector in Transport and Fertiliser and currently as a Self Employed Plumber I understand the challenges faced in these difficult times.
As a Mangakino/Pouakani Representative I would strive to ensure the lines of Communication between Council and the Ratepayers of the Ward are Open.
Top 5 Issues
- Communication and Consultation - I believe the Stakeholders, Town and Rural Communities, Marae Whanau, Iwi be kept informed of what is happening in their own backyard.
If elected I aim to meet regularly to hear concerns and act upon them.
- Making sure that Ratepayers money is not being wasted.
- Effective Mangakino/Pouakani Ward Representation
A Voice on Council for Town and Country.
- Protecting our natural assets for our Future Generations. Assisting entities to further develop our natural resources. Liasing with other agencies and groups to access the correct information.
- Team Work amongst Council Members. The importance of Respectful Relationships to create Positive Leadership.
- Local Craftsman Self Employed Plumber for 10 years prior to which I was Employed by Western Bay Transport Ltd, a family owned managed and run Rural Business servicing the Pouakani District and wider. I was employed there as a Storeman,Truckdriver and Operations Manager for 10 years during which many farms were converting to Dairy.
- I have been married for 20 years and have three children who were all educated at Mangakino Area School in the Rumaki Reo Unit/Te Reo Maori Immersion Unit. I am the proud grandfather of 3 mokopuna/grandchildren.
- Passionate about the Community we live in and regard the Whole District as my Community.
- Not afraid to put my hand up and get a job done, I am voluntarily involved with the Community and will fill in as and when needed.
- Currently the Deputy Chair on the Pouakani Marae Trustees, we are in the final stages of rebuilding our Marae which burnt down in 2007. As a Maori Representative I am ever aware of the needs of not only this Marae but the other Marae in the District and the need for a stronger united voice that is reflective of the different iwi associated with each Marae Whanau and individual issues affecting them.
- A keen sportsman who enjoys playing sport at all levels. I have represented King Country/Tihoi/Mangakino in Sevens/Rugby, NZ in Touch Football and played Rugby League for Midlands, Mangakino, Putaruru and Taupo Broncos.
- Current Chairman on the Board of Trustees at Mangakino Area School.
Authorised by Whitu Karauna of 19 Moana Crescent, Mangakino