I am seeking re-election to the Palmerston North constituency for a further term with a renewal of my commitment to ensure the continued safety of residents from major flooding by the provision of effective stop banks and associated river works; that the standards for drinking water and waste disposal are safe but affordable, and that plant and animal pest strategies in the surrounding region are adequate for the task of protecting the city’s economy from the effects of a ‘foot and mouth’ type disaster. I support the Council’s strategy to encourage reversion of areas of marginal farmland to afforestation as a means of diminishing riverbed accretion.
I am delighted with continuing improvements to the city bus service and will endeavour to capitalise on funding opportunities through Transfund. The free bus service for students has had a major benefit to traffic congestion in Fitzherbert Avenue at minimal cost to city ratepayers.
Top 5 Issues
- Flood protection for urban communities
- Provision and protection of high standards of drinking water
- Environmental protection of waterways and improvements to urban wastewater disposal
- I have been impressed by the submissions to the 'One Plan' and support the determinations of the Commissioners.
Conflicts of Interest
Authorised by Paul W Rieger of 35 Manapouri Cres, Palmerston North 4410
Results - Final
- Jill White
- Paul Rieger
- Murray C Guy
- Verdon (Vern) Chettleburgh
- Amey Bell-Booth
- Glenis Mobberley