I offer the necessary skills, experience, and local perspective.
Lived and worked in the area in the 70s, moving here permanently in 1991.
Secretary and chairman in the 90s for the now defunct Opua and Districts Ratepayers Association Inc; presently secretary and acting treasurer for the Opua Hall Society Inc.
Have been involved in RMA, District Plan, and District By-laws matters.
Active in promoting the Forsyte Survey in 1997 and Opua Development Plan, still to be completed by FNDC.
Co-designed, co-constructed and presently maintain ‘OPUA’ sign. Active in local beautification projects.
Work part-time at Moerewa School, allowing time for Community Board commitments and focus.
Have academic, trade, professional and sailing qualifications.
I love this area, am familiar also with Russell and urban issues and local Maori concerns; remain an advocate for Local Government democratic processes, and equality of opportunity where progress and environmental awareness are a natural combination.
Top 5 Issues
- Protection of residential and recreational amenities and public assets; our amenities are also an important part of our economy. Our facilities such as the Opua and Russell wharves need to be maintained and improved.
- Focussing on the protection and enhancement of our heritage, cultural and reserve areas.
- Make better use of research and analytic skills in decision making on local and district issues.
- Fair and transparent administration and processes at the local level.
- Community consultation; affected communities must be part of the decision making process.
Part-time technology teacher at Moerewa school.
Actively involved in the community, committee member of the Opua Hall Society (secretary), the Bay of Islands Coastal Watchdog Inc and the Paihia & Districts Residents & Ratepayers Association Inc.
Please call me for further questions. I am looking foreward to hear from you. 09 4026988
Authorised by Mike Rashbrooke of English Bay Road, Opua