As a Councillor for 7 years, I’ve been involved in some difficult decisions, with much achieved. A personal highlight, as Chairperson St James Working Group, was completion of our NBS Theatre, following a long, difficult process.
Growth and development meant expense to ratepayers. It’s time for reassessment and consolidation, ensuring continued economic development, focussing on realistic, achievable goals, but being mindful of providing good basic infrastructure. Consistent supply and quality water is a priority.
I’m a qualified Hearing Commissioner for RMA Hearings, Chairperson Punakaiki Management Group, Tauranga Bay Working Group, Streetscape Working Group, Committee Member BPA and Charleston Community Groups.
As Chairperson North Beach Accreted Land Working Group my main focus this term will be to achieve an effective, sustainable use for this land with no cost to ratepayers.
I have an energetic, positive approach and welcome constituent communication. With hard work and commitment, Buller has a fantastic future.
Top 5 Issues
- To provide a consistent supply and quality water supply to Westport residents. We need to be looking at all options before embarking on either a total replacement or upgrade of the present system. Other options could possibly be an artesion well or pumping from the Buller River. (components of the present system are over 100 years old)
- Achieve an effective and sustainable use for the North Beach accreted land with no cost to ratepayers. As Chair of the Working Group for this project I have already done a lot of work and we will very soon be in a position to ask for expressions of interest from the public for use of this land.
- Coaltown must become self-sufficient so as not to remain a burden on ratepayers. Moving it to the cultural hub will achieve this over a few years. We have made a good start to fund this but we must seek further sponsorship to complete the project. Including the I-site into the same building will also save money for ratepayers as it is also reliant on funding from Council to operate.
- The Westport Harbour is one of our most valuable assets and we must strive to keep it operational and 'paying it's way". We must continue negotiations with Holcim to obtain a fair and equitable levy on cement exports. We also need to encourage more users of the port and the Coal Mining Industry could provide this. We most work with these companies to achieve a profitable return
- As Chair of the Streetscape Working Group I want to continue planning for the continued beautification of the business district. It is looking good but we now need to build on what we have done. We need to work the groups in Seddon and Inangahua as well to continue the projects they have started
I was born and grew up in Murchison where my family had a dairy farm and contracting business.
I have lived in Westport for over 40 years and married to Eric who has been a Commercial Fisherman operating out of the port of Westport for many years. We have four grown sons and had several foster children..
I have been totally involved in the Buller Community, pre-schools, schools, tertiary institutes and involved in many sporting groups (basketball, netball, golf, swimming, cricket, rugby, surfing, athletics and softball). I was a Buller Representative in Basketball, Netball (Capt) and Softball. I was also Ladies Club Capt for the Golf Club. With all these organisations I have driven promotion, development and fund-raising.
My employment has been in Civil Construction, Education, Health and Employment.
During leisure time I enjoy travel, reading, gardening, socialising, arts and entertainment.
I totally enjoy Local Body work which is both challenging and rewarding. I have served as a Buller District Councillor for two and a half terms and have an excellent understanding of Council Policy and Procedures, During this time I have also completed studies through Auckland University to become a qualified Hearing Commissioner on matters pertaining to the Resource Management Act.
Authorised by Lynley Roberts of Buller Road, R D 2, Westport
Results - Final
- Jim Halsall
- David Barnes
- Graham Howard
- Peter Campbell
- Margaret Montgomery
- John Hill
- David Orchard
- Lynley Roberts
- Kathryn Bainbridge
- Max Gallavin
- Greg Hart
- Ruth Vaega
- Steve Adam
- Allan Brizzell
- Steve White
- Neil Stevenson
- Charles Bruning
- Joss Robinson