JILL WHITE – CANDIDATE PROFILE
I have an extensive background in environmental matters and believe I have the knowledge and experience to again represent the City on the Regional Council.
For the past three years I have been very involved with ‘One Plan’, the Regional Council’s major project to determine policy directions in areas such as water, land, biodiversity, natural hazard management and landscapes. I am proud of what has been achieved.
I was also a regional councillor from 1989 to 1994, resigning to carry out parliamentary commitments. I am a former mayor of Palmerston North and have been chairperson of the Environmental Risk Management Authority (ERMA) and a Director of Landcare Research.
I have a great interest in the Manawatu River and in the next term of Council want to provide leadership in the challenges facing us in water management, including flood control. Another priority is working to enhance the biodiversity of our Region.
Top 5 Issues
- 1. To work through the Appeals process for the One Plan while at the same time implementing those parts which are not under appeal.
- 2. To complete the work on the Manawatu River flood protection schemes both in the Palmerston North City reach and in the lower Manawatu area; while at the same time carrying out the planned river enhancement projects
- 3. To progress the Manawatu River Accord by developing an Action Plan by March 2011; through this proposed Plan engaging the keen interest of local communities, leading to their participation through the annual plan process; and then implementing the agreed Plan
- 4. To work together with landowners, using non-regulatory methods as in the One Plan, to gain both environmental and economic benefit; and to have dialogue with the various communities of the Region about recognition and appropriate protection of our outstanding and significant landscapes.
- 5. To work with territorial local authorities to plan for climate change and its potential effects on pest management, natural hazards (including flood risk) and biodiversity.
Authorised by Jill White of 276 Aokautere Drive, Palmerston North
Results - Final
- Jill White
- Paul Rieger
- Murray C Guy
- Verdon (Vern) Chettleburgh
- Amey Bell-Booth
- Glenis Mobberley