David Stewart for Mount Maunganui - Papamoa Ward
Deputy Mayor and local Mount-Papamoa Councillor David Stewart makes a full-time commitment to working with and helping local people and organisations positively achieve their aims. David is a straight talker and hard worker with a proven record of achievement and proven ability to get things done.
Experienced community leader:-
- Chairman: Strategy and Policy, Tauranga City Plan Hearings, Mount Green Sports.
- Deputy Chairman: Tauranga Airport, Tauranga Summer Activity Taskforce.
- Director: BOP Health Board, Tauranga City Aquatics Ltd.
- Commissioner: Resource Consents.
- Member: NZ Institute of Directors.
- Patron: Mount Maunganui Senior Citizens Association.
- Served on: Papamoa Sports Trust, Mount Primary School Board, Tauranga Arts Council.
David is a Registered Surveyor with over 20 years successful business and project management including founding director of a successful local company.
Passionate about our unique Mount-Papamoa coastal lifestyle, David stands by his track record of performance, providing strong, effective representation for local people and our local issues.
Always available, always willing to help. Contact David anytime on 575-0751.
David Stewart for Bay of Plenty District Health Board
David Stewart- 9 years your local Health Board representative.
Experienced community leader - working with and helping local people and organisations achieve their goals.
- Committees- Audit, Finance, Risk Management and Hospital Advisory.
- Deputy Mayor.
- Local Councillor.
- Committee Chairman.
- Deputy Chairman- Tauranga Airport.
- Director- Tauranga City Aquatics Limited.
- Patron- Mount Maunganui Senior Citizens Association.
- Member- NZ Institute of Directors.
David is a Registered Surveyor with over twenty years successful business and project management experience including founding director of a successful local company.
- Stretching each and every dollar to reduce waiting lists.
- Providing better health and hospital services.
- Timely treatment for those who need it, when they need it!
Ensuring hard won health funds are spent on health needs – not unnecessary bureaucracy!
As Chairman of Tauranga Hospital redevelopment committee David helped successfully steer the new $140 million hospital project to completion on time and within budget.
Always available, always willing to help. Contact David anytime on 575-0751.
Top 5 Issues
- Strong and effective representation for the people of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa. The recent change to the council representation structure has changed the power of the council and swung it back to the wards. Effective representation is now very important for the Mount-Papamoa side of the bridge. Ward representatives are going to have much greater influence at the council table. It is critical that Mount Maunganui and Papmoa have strong and effective representation and ensure a strong and united voice at the council table to advocate for our local people and our local issues and to ensure our coastal area doesn't get left behind!
- Retaining our unique coastal lifestyle by ensuring properly planned growth and orderly development of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa.
Coastal growth and development is inevitable - we must make sure that it is compatable with our lifestyle and what we want to see happenning around us.
Our Mount-papamoa coastal area is the jewel in Tauranga's crown - we must make sure it stays that way!
- Ensuring we get our fair share of funds and resources to provide for the services and facilities we need for our growing Papamoa and Mount area.
Papamoa in particular is gong to experience huge growth over the coming years and we must make sure that proper services and facilities are in place to properly cater for this growth. Things like a sound and proven tsunami warning system and an emergency evacuation plan for the coastal strip are urgently needed. We know the problem - let's get on and work on the solution.
This is where the city's future growth is, this is where the pressure for development is - this is where the council needs to focus its attention!
- Keeping rates to a minimum.
Ensuring 'best value for money' for our community and ratepayers by thoroughly scrutinising the need for, and closely monitoring of Council services and projects.
- Ensuring that community owned assets (like water supply) stay in community ownership and not sold on to profit making companies.
It is a privilege and a pleasure to serve the people of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa as a local Councillor, and particularly so as Deputy Mayor for the last six years. Whilst it has not always been easy, it has certainly been satisfying to see the Mount and Papamoa develop into the beautiful area it has become and to have ensured the provision of quality services and facilities here that we now enjoy.
As a Mount resident and ratepayer for the last 24 years I have thoroughly enjoyed living here and raising my young son here. I am passionate about our coastal area and our beach lifestyle and believe our Mount Maunganui and Papamoa coastal area is world class. This is the jewel in the crown of Tauranga and we must ensure that it stays that way!
As a member of our Bay of Plenty Disrtrict Health Board I have focussed on fostering good relations and understanding between our Health Board and our City Council. Both organisations have (and rightly should have!) the interests and well-being of our communities at heart. Ensuring a good relationship between these two organisations is our best opportunity to ensure happy, healthy and thriving communities to benefit us all.
In 1982 I graduated from Otago University with a Bachelor of Surveying degree and completed my Professional Surveyor examinations in 1985 at which time I was admitted to the NZ Institute of Surveyors as a Registered Surveyor and Licensed Practitioner. My survey career has been predominantly in private enterprise involved in urban planning, design, project management and subdivisional development. I have also worked nationally and internationally as a project surveyor and advisor on various large-scale engineering and survey projects. My last survey assignment was as Project Surveyor and Advisor on the International Border Demarcation between Saudi Arabia and Oman in 1993.
In 1994 my partner and I founded Key Research and Marketing Limited (KRML) in Mount Maunganui. I was managing director of KRML from 1994 to 2001. During this period KRML quickly established itself as a nationally recognised and premier market research company. The company was sold to its current owners in 2001.
I am currently a member of the NZ Institute of Directors and last year completed the Institute’s ‘Company Directors Course’ and was awarded the Institute of Directors Certificate in Company Direction.
Last year I also completed the University of Auckland Resource Management Commissioners course and achieved accreditation as a Resource Consents Hearings Commissioner, endorsed Hearings Chairman.
With the recent change to our Council representation it is now imperative that the Mount-Papamoa Ward has a strong and united voice at the council table to effectively represent us, our local issues and our local future. This is where the growth is, this is where the pressure for development is - this where we need to ensure our council continues to focus its attention!
Conflicts of Interest
I have no conflicts of interest with the Bay of Plenty District Health Board.
Authorised by David Stewart of 42 Marine Parade, Mount Maunganui
Questions answered by David Stewart
David Stewart's Reply
No to fluoride in city water supply.
Yes to education, supply fluoride tablets to parents and schools, more frequent check-ups for children, mobile dental clinics.check out other candidate's answers
Yes, happy to explore and evaluate this.
Spend the $'s on prevention.check out other candidate's answers
Thanks for your question.
Yes, I\'m keen to have well-run events here in the Mount that promote our wonderful Mount in a positive light. The Mount is the jewel in our city\'s crown!
Deputy Mayor, Tauranga
check out other candidate's answers
Results - Final
- Mark Arundel
- David Stewart
- Matua Parkinson
- Marion Guy
- Yvonne Boyes
- Mogens Poppe
- Ron Scott
- Andrea Marsh
- Derek Sage
- Tommy Kapai Wilson
- Andrew von Dadelszen
- Jo (Josephine) Gravit
- Stewart Ngatai
- Mike Mills
- Jorg Prinz
- Veronica (Ronnie) Haylings
- Russell Clements
- Don Archer