I have been a ratepayer in the Tasman District for 25 years and your representative on council for the last three years. I have practical, successful experience in farming, tourism, development and conservation projects.
I will support policies that are affordable, business friendly, create employment opportunities and increase economic growth. My priorities are ensuring well-planned urban growth, addressing the increasing shortage of water and protecting our region's high quality agriculture land from further development.
I am committed to the sustainable management of our enviroment and protection of our region's unique assets.
Encouraging youth involvement in the Community is something I feel strongly about
I offer full time availability, commitment and integrity in addressing your issues.
Top 5 Issues
- The Council needs to be aware in its decision making that many sectors of the community are facing issues of rates affordability. At the same time, it needs to show positive leadership in these difficult financial times. Supporting the recovery of the local economy by continuing to invest in projects that will maintain and enhance core infrastructure, create employment opportunities and increase economic growth.
- Creating a sustainable future for present and future generations by protecting our high quality agricultural land from subdivision and urban sprawl. Our high quality land is the key to economic prosperity in our region, creating job and business oppotunities and a future for our young people.
- Address the increasing shortage of water in the region by supporting the building of the Lee Valley Augmentation Dam and the Coastal pipeline from Motueka to Mapua.
These projects will secure supply to Urban areas,contribute substanially to increased production on the Waimea Plains and protect and enhance the ecology of the Waimea River.
- Protecting our enviroment; including maintaining and enhancing the water quality of our rivers and streams, encouragement and support for the restoration of wetlands and protection of our sensitive ecological areas.
- Long term urban planning that allows more intensification and creates an attractive welcoming town centre, providing for people of all ages. More emphasis on pedestrian walkways and cycleways that link
the suburbs to the heart of the urban area. Planning that takes into account possible sea level rise on our coastal settlements.
I own land on the edge of the Waimea Inlet where I have lived for most of the 25 years that I have been in the Nelson region. I enjoy most sports and love the outdoors.
I have enjoyed the three years that I have had on council, it has been a big learning curve and has taken a great deal of information gathering to get up to speed with the many operations of Council. I have worked hard to build relationships with the communities I represent and have endeavoured to find solutions to their issues and support their requests to Council.
I have enjoyed working with the other two Councillors in the Moutere/Waimea Ward, Tim King and Trevor Norris and it is heartening to hear them say that it has been the best Moutere/Waimea team of Councillors that they have worked with in the 12 years they have been on Council.
I have been the Council representative on the Nelson Tasman Business Trust and the Nelson Education Enterprise Trust Excecutive. I have also been on the Waimea inlet Strategy Steering Group, The Arts Strategy Steering Group and the Native Habitats Tasman project Oversight Group.
I have been The Council representative on the McKee Domain Committee, The Mapua Health Centre, The Wakefield Hall Committee and the Wakefield Recreation Reserve Committee.
Authorised by Brian W. Ensor of 24c Arapiki Road, Nelson